Monday, February 9, 2015
MY NAME IN NATURE AND CORNEL WEST
1. Please list your first name, your "Name in Nature" and your last name. Write one perfect paragraph to describe why you chose your name in nature. What does this name in nature represent? What are the particular strengths and weaknesses associated with this name in nature? Is this name in nature more connected with a "Nobody" or a "Somebody" as discussed in the Emily Dickinson poem.
2. Please offer some comments on the excerpt of the lecture Coronel West delivered at
West Virginia University.
REMARKS ON PAIDEIA and REAL EDUCATION
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dion Lewis aka "Profound Dove", the reason why I chose this name is because profound means intelligence and a dove symbolizes peace and tranquility amongst others. I believe that I stand for tranquility as a whole because it is who I am as a human being. This can be seen as a strength because it shows maturity and looking past problems most people wouldn't be able to. My name in nature is more connected with a "somebody", because I am a somebody, no matter that be to the world but within myself.
ReplyDeleteKashif Davis aka "Kool Koala" I chose this name because it explains how chill and laid back I am. Koala's are chill and laid back. I spelled cool with a K because that's cool and my name starts with the letter K. My name in nature strength is Loyalty.
ReplyDeleteAlexi "Fireball" Diaz
ReplyDeleteI chose fireball because I feel like I am the spark, I am the power, and I am the force behind something great. Relating to Emily Dickinson's poem I feel like a nobody that wants to become a somebody through my works and achievements. Some weaknesses associated with this name and nature are being too friendly and failing, on the other hand a strength is starting something amazing that people will remember.
When I first saw Cornel West deliver his speech in West Virginia University I was AMAZED and INSPIRED. I found out what Paideia meant and what were his aspects of real education.
Kwame "Cheetah" Porter
ReplyDeleteI chose this name in nature because i feel like everything i do i have to do it fast not slow at all. It represents that im not slow at all. a somebody
Jesus "The Lion" Galvez
ReplyDeleteA lion is a leader and is known as the king of the jungles. I think of myself as a leader and who likes to take the first step and when I talk I want the people to listen to me. A lion gets angry easily so people or animals know not to mess with it. I don’t like people to mess with me so I believe this name of nature goes really good with me. A lion is “Somebody” because he represents a whole kingdom and has to take responsibility.
Luigey "Sheepdog" Zepeda
ReplyDeleteThe reason why I chose sheepdog as my name in nature is becasue a sheepdog is the one that protects the sheep (civilians) from the wolf(criminals). Being an NYPD Auxiliary makes me the sheepdog where I have to protect the civilians in my community from any person that could cause harm. The name in nature is more connected to a somebody because when I do something good, it makes the whole police department look good.
Giovanny The (German Sheperd) Taveras. I am a german shepherd because of my loyalty and trust. I am loving and a careful person but also a beast when I have too. I am a great companion but also can be a lone wolf when I feel like it.
ReplyDeleteIan "Aware Prairie Dog" Santos
ReplyDeleteI chose this name because as a person who likes to socialize with people I also have to keep my eyes open for those who come to me with bad intentions. If I see that someone treats someone else bad I don’t want to associate myself with them because they could turn around and do the same thing to me. The Prairie Dog represents awareness and alertness to their surroundings because they have to watch out for animals that hunt them or their families. The weakness of the Prairie Dog is that it is an animal that is constantly being hunted by other larger animals. The strength of the Prairie Dog is the awareness to their surroundings; they have to keep their eyes opens to protect their families and themselves. The Prairie Dog is more of a somebody because some animals depend on them to eat them and their families depend on them for protection.
Oscar Silent Cricket Ricketts
ReplyDeleteThe reason I choose this name is because I am Usually a quiet person the like to keep to myself in silence. When i get comfortable I tend to get loud REALLY loud, but that only with people I'm comfortable with.
Junior "Peregrine Falcon" Minaya
ReplyDeleteThe reason i chose this name in nature is because this bird is a bird of prey. It takes action quickly and intelligently observes its prey from a high distance. It usually in front leading the pack giving guidance to its younger mates. As a senior in Cardinal Hayes i believe i can relate because now i like to help my lower ranked classmates through their high school years. The peregrine falcon is one of the fastest animals on the world if not the fastest while observing from afar just like me when i meet new people but once again it likes to interact with people and that's another similarity with me. This name in nature is a "somebody" with the right people and the right flock of birds who match his level.